COVID 19 – Our
We hope this message finds you all safe, well, and taking care of one another in these extraordinary times. As we approach the high point of Share Lent and also regional assemblies across Canada, we are writing to provide you with information regarding our response at this time to COVID 19.
For the time being, we at Development and Peace have made a decision to cancel or postpone all of our in-person meetings and events across Canada. Each year, for Share Lent, our extraordinary members organize activities, speak in parishes and schools to highlight our campaign and raise the funds needed to help millions of people around the world. This is a vital time of year for Development and Peace fundraising, but the safety of our supporters, members and staff comes first.
In light of the risk posed by COVID-19, we believe it is the responsible decision to proceed with a virtual Share Lent. But we cannot do this alone, we need your help!
We have also taken a number of other steps to help in the fight to stop the spread of the virus, including cancelling all international and national travel. Given the fast-changing situation, and to contribute to public health, we have reduced the number of staff working in the office to basic service levels in Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa. Development and Peace staff across Canada have been asked to work from home and to limit themselves to meetings by phone or skype.
What about the Solidarity Sunday collection coming up on March 28-29? It is increasingly clear that most if not all churches will not be open on Solidarity Sunday. We are adapting to reality. The Share Lent campaign is absolutely vital for our work. The donations received across Canada during Share Lent is our core funding – crucial to helping vulnerable people around the world throughout the year.
DONATE NOW (https://devp.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8c5eb7ffb9447967dc0c247e0&id=f964edeb75&e=5836fff725)
What we are doing:
* Asking people to support Development and Peace’s work by donating online at www.devp.org (https://devp.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8c5eb7ffb9447967dc0c247e0&id=9076441f8d&e=5836fff725) .
* We are activating our emergency phone lines. People can donate by calling: 1-888 664-3387.
* We have key staff in place (both in office & using telecommunications) to collect and process these donations, whether by mail, email or phone.
* Working closely with the CCCB to reschedule the Share Lent collection in parishes. We will be asking you to reach out to your contacts to help us bring a virtual Share Lent to life.
* Special postal appeal, email appeal, social media advertisements, and phone calls asking Catholics to donate and to become Share Year Round donors, or to make their Share Lent donation through these adapted methods. Will you help us share the message? We will be in touch with you soon.
Tools and resources are currently being created to help you answer questions and encourage people to donate online or by cheque. We will be sending you more information in the coming days.
On Saturday, NC members decided to extend the deadline for regional meetings to June 15^th, an adaptation of our bylaws, and gave discretion to DP management to change any plans accordingly. The NC Members Services Committee will meet and decide this Thursday how best to proceed. Considering the rapid changes, you should expect to identify alternative ways to hold the meetings, by phone, skype, webinar etc.
Our partner organizations around the world will continue to carry-out life-saving programmes, thanks to the generosity of people in Canada.
In Canada let’s do all we can to focus on protecting those who are most vulnerable – the elderly and those with underlying health issues. Globally, we need to support people whose health is already at risk – men, women and children – due to the pressures of poverty and conflict.
COVID-19 has been identified in many of the countries we work in. This pandemic has highlighted the importance of global solidarity in a whole new way. Together, we will get through this. One by one, in our homes and in our families, we will work, pray and donate for the common good and for our common home.
Click to Make a Donation to Development and Peace (https://devp.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8c5eb7ffb9447967dc0c247e0&id=0ccf4384ec&e=5836fff725)
COVID 19 – Our