Transforming our lives; building our Church
After a lenthy period of prayer, discussion and reflection, our bishop has released a Pastoral Plan to guide the parishes of our Diocese over the next few years though six goals:
- To reach out and engage all people with the message of the Gospel
- To be an inviting and welcoming Church that fosters community
- To offer well-prepared liturgies that promote prayer and participation
- To be a church engaged in ministry and mission
- To engage in responsible stewardship of God’s gifts for the present and future
- To be a Church that nurtures reconciliation, healing and mercy
Implementing the plan at St. Joseph Church
From February 2024 to June 2024, our parish will reflect on our efforts to live out the second goal: to be an inviting and welcoming Church that fosters community. It all begins with a discussion on February 1st at 6:30pm in the Columbus Hall. Accompanying the goal, the following suggestions have been proposed:
- Examine our parish outreach out to parishioners through social and community events.
- Establish a welcoming committee to enhance the experience of new parishioners and to reach out invitationally into the community.
- Review the physical space of the office, church, and hall to assess how accessible and inviting it is.
- Implement programs that promote the greater involvement of family and youth and engagement of Catholic schools.
- Offer programs that engage the gifts of the newly retired and the elders of the parish community.
- Enhance parish communication strategies to facilitate contact among parishioners and build community.
- Support and work with lay organizations in the parish (such as Catholic Women’s League, Knights of Columbus, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Development and Peace, and prayer groups.)
Anyone interested in discussing how this goal can be best lived out in our parish should come out to a meeting on February 1st at 6:30pm in the Columbus Hall. Bring your ideas, thoughts and openness to the Holy Spirit.
More from the Diocese of Peterborough
“I am pleased that on this feast of Pentecost 2023, we are inaugurating our Diocesan Pastoral Plan which charts a course for our activity and ministry in the next five years. Titled “Transforming our Lives; Building our Church,” it is the fruit of prayerful discussion and discernment over the past two years, in parish, regional and diocesan meetings. In our listening to the Holy Spirit through those discussions with each other, we have identified six pastoral goals and specific strategies to help achieve them at the diocesan and parish levels.”Bishop Daniel Miehm
Bishop of the Diocese of Peterborough